Step by Step Guide to Research at Teti Library
Be aware that if you are not careful, you could present false information when writing a research paper... but sometimes it is hard to know if the information you gather is real or fake.
Websites can be a great place to start your research assignments -- but always confirm that they are reliable and appropriate sources. This guide will assist you in finding resources 'beyond Google" you can count on to be acceptable for college-level projects.
Steps to get you to a great research project:
1. Select a topic you are interested in -- be flexible! If you run into dead-ends, try changing it up a bit.
2. Locate background information -- this should be broad rather than too specific/narrow. Create a context for your subject.
3. Find books on your topic -- images in books are reliable sources.
4. Search for journal articles - online databases are reviewed for accuracy, and can create your citations for you!
5. Locate images on reliable sites-- there is a huge amount of junk on the open internet -- be careful!
6. Make sure you always provide proper citations for work. Intellectual property must be respected, and as artists we expect this from others when citing our work, too.
Search for Books, DVDs + More
Use this box to search Teti Library (and 11 other libraries) for books, DVDs, periodicals and more, enter your search terms in the box below.
|Look for books, DVDs & more!
Researching the Basics
Use this resource to provide background information on your artist- don't forget to get the proper citation!
Below are selected databases with emphasis on visual arts-related topics. More databases can be searched from the main Library website:
Academic Search Premiere: Academic institutions worldwide depend on this database as their core resource of scholarly information. Academic Search Premier contains full text for more than 2,500 journals. Nearly 150 journals have PDF images dating back to 1985.
Art & Architecture Source: A leading database for the study of fine, decorative and commercial art, as well as photography, folk art, film, architecture and much more, this database provides full-text coverage of 380 periodicals and more than 220 books. In addition, ARTSource offers cover-to-cover indexing and abstracts for more than 780 academic journals, magazines and trade publications, as well as for over 230 books.
Below are a selection of subscription and open-access digital image databases you may wish to search: